Main Purpose of the Job
This is a general management position that reports to the Executive Director and shall have overall responsibility for technical and business operations as well as coordination of ongoing research and educational technology projects undertaken by KENET or KENET grantees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the executive director in the in the formulation and monitoring implementation of KENET strategies especially in the areas of research ICT and educational technology services
- Provide leadership in operations of research & educational technology projects and initiatives
- Provide leadership in all project and operational matters on Infrastructure Design & Implementation, Network Operations and Enterprise Services delivery
- Provide leadership in the smooth running of administrative duties at the Secretariat Offices
- Active participant in the development of KENET internal policies and procedures
- Handling all technical staff human resource management matters and providing technical guidance to staff
- Maintaining strong and trusted relationships with ICT and senior leadership of the KENET member institutions on operational, research and educational technology matters
Other Requirements for the Job
(a) Level of Education/Academic Qualification
The ideal candidate shall have a PhD in Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems or equivalent from a recognized university. In addition, the candidate shall have at least 10 years’ university teaching and research experience as well as demonstrated university faculty leadership experience as dean or head of academic department in a recognized university.Demonstrated ability to attract infrastructure or research funding shall be an added advantage.
(b) Other Competencies or Skills Required
- Engineering skills. Full Registration with Engineering Board of Kenya shall be an added advantage
- Project management skills. Current professional certification in project management will be an added advantage
- Demonstrated strong business strategies and acumen
- Excellent talent management and team skills
- Ability to provide technical guidance to staff
- Strong negotiation and conflict management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Strong presentation skills
- Conceptual thinking skills
- Planning and organizing skills
- Problem solving skills
- Inter-personal skills
(c) Relevant Job Experience
- Teaching and/or research experience in a recognized university or research institution
- Demonstrated skills in grant writing for large infrastructure projects or collaborative research projects
- General management and administration skills
- Proficiency in managing large and complex network and infrastructure projects
- Expert in network design and operations
- Proficiency in project management,
- Proficiency in managing contracts and SLAs
- Strong analytical skills
- Expertise in developing capital budgets
- Ability to communicate clearly across the organization and at Board level
Past experience in network or telecommunications engineering and in negotiation and management of ICT Service Level Agreements shall be mandatory. Professional registration as an engineer shall be an added advantage.
All candidates must have demonstrated good or excellent oral and written communication skills, high ethical and moral standards and capable of working in teams with limited supervision.
Interested and qualiﬁed persons should visit the KENET recruitment portal for submission of their application.
Applications should be submitted not later than February 22, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted to attend interviews at KENET within two weeks from the date of the deadline for submission of applications.
KENET is an equal opportunity employer and promotes diversity. Female candidates as well as candidates from marginalized or semi-arid areas are encouraged to apply.
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with the position shall be offered to the successful candidates
NOTE: Applications submitted in hard copy format will not be considered.